If you are deeply interested and want to build your career in mathematics, it is possible to have a good satisfying career in the future.
Math is such a subject; wherein higher you grow in your career you need more reasoning and logic.
I love math, and I am a mathematician, So I can explain better the scope and Career options available in mathematics.
Most of my friends afraid of mathematics because they feel, Mathematics need more knowledge than other.
I don’t think so.
If you have a good analytical skill and want to play with numbers, Mathematics is good for you.
Hence, before starting a career as a Mathematician you must follow the skills given below.
- Good skills at solving mathematical problems
- Logical reasoning
- Precise thinking
Options to Choose a Career in Mathematics
In India, most of the students take up teaching as a career after their Graduation or Post graduation in Math.
However, there are many other options which you can choose by reading mathematics.
Apart from teaching, the following organizations are open for the students to provide a great career in Mathematics
Opportunities in government organizations
If you have a mathematics certification, you can easily apply for Govt organization. I find out 3 best Govt Organisation which always front runner for a mathematician.
- ISRO (The Indian Space Research Organization)
- DRDO (Defense Research and Development Organization)
- NAL (National Aeronautics Limited)
All these organizations need mathematicians to solve sophisticated mathematical problems related to their respective research areas of space, defense, and aeronautics.
Opportunities in Private Industries
One can opt. for the IT companies as they need mathematicians to work in their research department.
When it comes to the matter of little things like a computerized chip inside, the complexities involved in calculations and design of these things involves expert mathematicians at its core.
A skilled mathematician is able to design complex and critical financial models for loans, investments etc. Therefore, a Banks and Insurance company needs mathematicians who combine math and stats to come up with various financial models.
Students with the strong academic background in biology and mathematics can choose Biotechnology companies as their career option
Opportunities in the field of Teaching
Teaching is always the first option for the graduates is mathematics, as the salary package offered, are decent from the entry level to lecturers and professors.
Nowadays due to lack of supply to the surging demand for lecturers/professors teaching can be considered as a good career option.
There are some institutions those offers great job/ career opportunities to students with the good academic background in mathematics
- DST – Department of Science and Technology
- IITs – Indian Institute of Technology
- IISc – Indian Institute of Science
Academic Courses for Career in Mathematics
To take up mathematics as a career a student needs to study the following courses.
- After 12th Courses in Mathematics
Sc. – Regular 3-year course (Maths)
B.Sc (Hons) – 4-year course
B.Sc (Actuarial Science)
- After Graduation: Courses in Mathematics M.Sc.
- Integrated Courses
After 12th a student can also opt for a 4-year or 5-year integrated courses such as
- 4-year B.S. and 1-year M.S programme
[IISc is currently having a 4-year B.S (Bachelor’s in Science) and 1 year M.S. (Master’s in Science) programme for study in Mathematics]
- 5-year Integrated M.Sc programme which is a combined course viz. B.Sc. (3 years) and M.Sc (2 years) combined into one programme of 5 years.
The following institutions are currently having this 5-year integrated programme:-
- Central University-Hyderabad
- Central University-Pondicherry
- Post Graduation Courses- M.Phil and PhD
With more students taking up teaching as a career, there is also ruthless competition.
To get into the best Institution and to have an upper hand, it is important that student pursue higher studies in research.
The following institutes offer higher learning in research areas for Mathematics
- TIFR – Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
- IMSc – Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc)
- HRI – Harish Chandra Research Institute
- Indian Statistical Institute
- IISERs – Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research
- NISER – National Institute of Science Education and Research
- CMI – Chennai Mathematical Institute
- ISRO – It has its institution for research studies at Thiruvananthapuram
- Universities –AllcState and Central Universities
In general, an M.Phil is regarded as a senior or second Master’s degree, standing between your Master’s and a Ph.D. Most Universities consider M.Phil mandatory to do Ph.D.
One can opt for a few specializations in Mathematics for higher studies such as:
- Complex Dynamics
- Mathematical Logic
- Differential Equations
- Fluid Mechanics
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Image Processing and Probability and Statistics
Scholarships available for Career in Mathematics
Different kinds of scholarships or funding are available for the bright and brilliant students to help them in their higher studies.
They take care of the stay, tuition expenses etc., Here are a few important scholarships for students pursuing the career in mathematics:-
- NBHM Scholarships for Masters (http://www.nbhm.dae.gov.in/msc.html) and for PhD (http://www.nbhm.dae.gov.in/phd.html)
- CSIR research fellowship (http://www.csirhrdg.res.in/jrfsrfra2.htm)
- KVPY – Kishore Vaigyanik Pratsohan Yojana (http://www.kvpy.org.in/main/)
However, some institutes provide stipends to their undergraduate and postgraduate students as per their academic performance.
In the current situation of advancement in technology, we need a strong backup of mathematical geniuses for its research and development.
I must say that the future of students who have opted mathematics as a career looks all secure and vibrant.