Travel and tourism industry grows ahead leaps and bounds. It is one of the recession free industry that offers lucrative career options. With related contributing sectors, the industry never goes out of the market. A career in Travel and Tourism can be chosen by the students after 10+2 or after Graduation.
Everyone loves to travel. Be it a day travel, or adventurous tour, bike tour or family vacation; They need proper support services. Tourism and travel industry in India took off very slowly. Yet, with great initiatives from Government and growth of technology, the industry uncovers versatile career options.
A career related to tourism or travel is fun, enticing, and rewarding. There is no surprise, that enthusiastic and creative students show great passion to kick-start their career. Let us see, how to start a career in Travel and Tourism industry.
Quick Facts about Enormous Growth in the Travel and Tourism Industry
Read these facts that make you crave a career in this industry. With a dramatic increase in the tourism sector, there is no foreseeable downfall. Similar to some most preferred tourist destination, Indian tourism offers sizeable revenue to the Government. Eventually, there is an ever-growing need for skilled and qualified individuals.
- The travel industry in India is likely to create 45 million job/career opportunities in next 5 years.
- India is a hub of culture with a geographical anomaly. The versatility of the country offers on par career opportunities with great versatility.
- Exciting, adventurous, rewarding, satisfying career – Happy employees
- World Travel and Tourism Council published a report, where India could add 8.5 lakh crores by end of 2020, through tourism.
- Industry supported the economy of the country with 37.30 million jobs. It counts to 9% of total employment.
- Contributes to the foreign exchange as highest earning industry, directly and indirectly through associated services
Hub Partner of TISS SVE and the Owner of Costa Training Institute, Rashmi Samarvir Arora said: “Students have endless career opportunities in the fastest growing industry of travel.”
An Overview of Courses in Travel and Tourism Industry
Experience is one of the major contributing factors to flourish in this industry.
Across India, there are many private, public and Government colleges, universities and institutes offer diploma, advanced diploma, graduate and master’s degree program in travel and tourism. To name a few, management in tourism, airline ticketing, tour operation, hotel management, travel administration etc.
The basic eligibility criteria to study diploma or certificate courses is, passing in class 10 or class 12, with a minimum of 50 percent marks.
The stream of study in the higher secondary is immaterial. However, students who are keen on taking a career in tourism can opt for history in the higher secondary stream.
List of Bachelor Degree Courses in Travel and Tourism Sector
While any degree can fetch you a job in this sector, courses oriented to this industry enhances your career opportunities.
- BA / B.Sc / B.Com / BBA in Travel and Tourism Management
- BA in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism Management
- Sc. / BBA in Hospitality and Travel Management
- BBA in Air Travel Management
- BA Tourism Studies
- Bachelor of Tourism Studies
- Bachelor of Tourism Administration
- BA Travel and Tourism
This is not an exhaustive list. There are mild variations and same courses are offered in different versions as B.Sc, BA, and BBA.
- Duration of these courses – 3 years.
- Eligibility – Pass in 10 + 2 education in any stream.
List of Diploma Courses in Travel and Tourism Sector
- Diploma in Travel and Tourism Management
- Diploma in Tourism Studies
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Tourist Guide
- Diploma in Aviation Hospitality and Travel Management
- Diploma in Tourism and Ticketing
- Diploma in Airfare and Ticketing
Based on the institute, duration of the diploma course vary from one to two years. There are premiere travel and tourism institutes that offer exclusive diploma courses.
- Eligibility – Pass in 10 + 2 education in any stream.
List of Certificate Courses in Travel and Tourism Sector
- Certificate in Travel and Tourism Management
- Certificate in Travel Management
- Certificate in Tour Guide
- Certificate in Air Ticketing
- Certificate in Tourism Management
Certificate courses duration range from 6 months to maximum of one year.
- Eligibility – Pass in 10th or Class 12 in any stream.
Students who enrolled in common graduate programs can do one or two diploma courses related to travel and tourism industry. It adds related qualification and value to their career prospects.
Post Graduate Courses in Travel and Tourism Management
After completion of graduate or bachelor’s degree in a general stream or travel-oriented course, students can opt for PG course in the industry.
PG courses include MA, M.Sc, MBA, and Master of Tourism Studies. Students can also enroll in research studies in tourism and travel, after completion of PG program.
PG courses are two years courses.
Government Approved Master’s Program
Indian Tourism Department, The Ministry of Tourism has approved an exclusive Post-Graduation degree, Master of Tourism Administration.
It is a full time, two-year degree, offered by selective reputed universities. Being a Government approved PG program, many students who enroll in this course easily get a promising career immediately after completion of studies.
A Career in Travel and Tourism Industry
Travel and tourism industry is massive.
It is impossible to count or list out the list of career options you have. On a precise note, this industry primarily involves taking care of the tourists, travel and tour organization and management, hospitality management, customer service, etc. This sector is a part of hospitality management.
Some of the most lucrative career options other than working in a travel agency include the following.
Working in domestic and international airlines, customer service, tour operator, specific tourism expert, holiday consultant, cruise and hotels, logistics and ticketing officer.
While a degree in travel and tourism can give you a foundation to kick-start your career, communication counts a lot.
Sector where you can find productive and lucrative career options
- Government and Private Airlines
- In-flight services – Stewards and air hostess
- Ground Staff – Ticketing/reservation, traffic assistant, counter staff etc
2. Hotels and Restaurants (Closely associated with hospitality industry)
- Front office
- House Keeping
- Public Relations etc
Any course related to hotel management and hospitality industry can get you a promising career in travel/tourism specific hotels.
3. Government / Private Tourism Department
- Local, State and National level tour guide, tour operator, and tour planner
- Information assistant – This post is selected through Staff Selection Examination
- Sales and Marketing
- Reservation Staff
- Itinerary Planning / Consultation
- Travel Manager / Counselor
- Foreign Exchange
4. Transport Management
- Operation and management of Rail/ air/road and ship transport
- Logistics and Cargo
The above-listed career options are only an overview about the prospective openings in the industry. There are plenty of options to explore.
As the industry is in growing phase, day to day new jobs will be created for the right candidates. The career in Travel and Tourism is the right choice if you are passionate about exploring new places and narrate a story for other.