National Eligibility Test is conducted twice in a year for the selection of posts like Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF). As per a recent announcement by the HRD Ministry, the examination will now be conducted by the newly formed National Testing Agency (NTA).
UGC NET 2018 December session would be the first exam of the NTA. By 2018 July Session, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has been conducting the examination.
For the NET December 2018, exam the application process has already started from September 1, 2018. The interested and eligible candidates can register themselves online through the NAT official website nta.ac.in or ntanet.nic.in
Important Dates for NET Exam
|Registration Starts||September 1, 2018|
|Registration Ends||September 30, 2018|
|Last Date of Submitting fee||October 1, 2018|
|Application Correction||8th -14th October 2018|
|Admit Card available||19th November 2018|
|Exam Date||9th – 23rd December 2018|
|Answer Key Release||December 2018|
|Result Declaration||10th January 2019|
Eligibility Criteria for NET Exam
To appear any examination, there is a specific eligibility criterion that candidates have to fulfill.
Below are the conditions of eligibility for UGC NET 2018.
- Qualifying Examination: Candidates should have a Master’s or equivalent degree from Universities/Institutions recognized by UGC.
- Subjects: The candidates must have passed in subjects like Humanities (including languages) and Social Science, Computer Science &Applications, Electronic Science etc.
- Minimum Marks: The percentage of marks required in the qualifying examination is
- 55% for General Category
- 50% marks in case of SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PWD categories
- Final Exam Appearing Candidates: Candidates appearing for final examinations towards a Master’s degree (or equivalent) are also eligible to apply.
- Relaxation: 5% of Relaxation would be given to D. degree holders whose master’s level examination had been completed by 19th September 1991.
Age Eligibility for NET Exam
For Junior Research Fellowship:
- Age Limit: The upper age limit is 30 years as on 1st December 2018.
- Relaxation: There is a 5 years relaxation in the upper age limit for the OBC-NCL, SC, ST, transgender and PWD category candidates.
- The candidates having research experience will also be given Relaxation
- Candidates possessing LL.M. degree will be eligible for 3 years relaxation in age.
For Assistant Professor:
- Age Limit: No prescribed upper age limit for applying for eligibility for Assistant Professor.
Who are exempted From Appearing UGC NET (For Assistant Professor)?
- D. Degree Holders: Candidates having the Ph.D. degree in accordance with the University Grants Commission shall be exempted from the requirement of NET/SELT/SET for recruitment of Assistant Professor in Universities/institutions.
- UGC/CSIR JRF Qualified Candidates: The candidates who qualified UGC/CSIR JRF examination are exempted from appearing the NET but the condition is that the examination must be passed prior to 1989.
- States Eligibility Test (SET) Candidates: The qualified candidates of SET (held prior to 1st June 2002) are exempted from appearing in NET. These candidates can apply for the post of Assistant Professor anywhere in India. Those who have cleared the SET (1st June 2002 onwards) are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the Universities/colleges situated in the state of passing the SET.
Application Fee for NET Exam
Candidates have to pay some amount as application fee that varies category- wise. Once the application fee is paid, is not refundable or not transferable under any circumstances. Candidates have to pay the fee with some GST charges.
Fee details are given below:
Mode of Payment
- Candidates can pay the Application fee through credit/ debit card or through e-challan.
- Candidates who are submitting the fee through e-challan have to make the payment in cash to Syndicate/Canara/ICICI bank.
UGC NET Exam Pattern 2018
Below the candidates can check the UGC NET 2018 exam pattern which tells about the number of questions, marking scheme, type of questions, duration of the exam and other details related to the exam.
- Papers: There will be two papers in the examination
- Exam Mode: Examination will be conducted in Computer Based Mode i.e., online mode.
- Number of Questions: A total of 150 questions will be asked in NET which is divided into 2 papers.
- Paper I – 50 Questions – 100 marks – 60 min
- Paper II – 100 Questions – 200 marks – 120 min
- Type of Questions: Question Papers will be of Objective type
- The Paper-I consists of General Aptitude Questions, Teaching aptitude, Reasoning Aptitude
- Paper-II contains questions related to the subject selected by candidates.
- The medium of Paper: Candidate can choose the paper medium in either Hindi or English. The choice for the paper medium can be exercised at the time of filling the form.
- Marking Scheme: 2 marks will be awarded for each correct answer.
- Negative Marking: There is no negative marking in UGC NET.
- There is a 30 min break in between two papers
- Exam Duration
|Exam Duration ( 1st shift)||Exam Duration (2nd Shift)|
|1hour (09:30 A.M. to 10: 30 A.M.)||1hour (02:00 P.M. to 03:00 P.M.)|
|2 hours (11:00 A.M. to 01:00 P.M.)||2 hours (03:30 P.M. to 05:30 P.M.)|
UGC NET Admit Card 2018
The admit card for the December session will be uploaded on the website on 19th November 2018. Candidates need to bring the admit card to the test center in addition to a Photo-Identity Card.
Below is the list of Acceptable Photo Identity Card. You have to carry anyone from the list.
- Driving license
- College/Institute Identity Card,
- Aadhaar Card
- Pan Card
- Voters ID card, etc.
UGC NET 2018 Answer Key
After the successful conduct of examination, the UGC NET answer key 2017 will be published in the month of December. Candidates also have the opportunity to challenge the OMR Sheet. For challenging each question, the authority will charge Rs. 1000/-. The fee will be refunded if the challenge is accepted by NTA
UGC NET Result 2018
- The UGC NET 2018 result will be announced by NTA through online mode.
- The result will be declared on 10th January 2019.
- By entering the roll number and date of birth candidates can check their results
UGC NET Cut-Off 2018
For the award of JRF and eligibility for Assistance Professor, the candidates have to score the minimum marks in the Paper-I and Paper –II
|Minimum Marks to be obtained (in %)|
- Both Subject-wise and category-wise merit list will be made for those candidates who will meet the cut-off scores.
- Using the aggregate scores of candidates in all the two papers a Merit list will be prepared
- Top 15% candidates will be declared as qualified candidates for eligibility for Assistant Professor only.
- From amongst 15% UGC NET qualifiers a separate merit list for JRF will be prepared.