On 14th of August 2018, it has been declared that from 2021 onward Ph.D. will be mandatory for seeking Assistant Professor in Indian universities.
Till now, college teachers who didn’t have doctorate degrees could be promoted to associate professor based on their academic and research performance and interviews.
The government has not changed the recruitment criteria for colleges at the entry level of the lecturer.
The people who have cleared the National Eligibility Test (NET) with Masters Degree can be hired by the Universities as per the existing University Grants Commission rules.
Yet, for a college lecturer to apply for the next higher position, the assistant professor, a Ph.D. degree will be imperative from July 2021.
Introducing the new ordinance of the University Grants Commission UGC, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said Academic Performance Indicators (API), withstand by many as research was made compulsory for college teachers, has been abolished so that they can focus on teaching.
There are 864 Universities, 40,026 colleges and 11,669 standalone institutions of higher education in the country.
According to Prakash Javadekar, Union minister for human resource development, Indians with a Ph.D. degree from the top 500 world universities, as measured by Quacquarelli Symonds, Times Higher Education or the Academic Ranking of World Universities, also would be eligible for direct recruitment at universities.
An equivalence certificate from the Association of Indian Universities would be no longer required for the PhDs of those 500 Universities.
This entire endeavor is to refine the quality of the higher education and to attract and hold on to the best talent in the country.
“New recruitment for universities will be only Ph.D. holders. We have given the time of three years. So from 2021, assistant professor (entry level position) will have to hold Ph.D. degree,” Javadekar said.
The minimum qualification required according to UGC 2018 has drafted regulations
- A minimum of 55 percent marks at the Masters level is needed for direct teaching
• To be an associate professor Ph.D. is mandatory
• For pursuing Ph.D. no study leave is allowed
• A candidate who scored 80% marks at the undergraduate level will get 20 points.
• Those with 60-80% marks will get 19 points.
• The candidates with less than 55% will get no points.
• The draft regulations have however quashed the Academic Performance Indicator (API) score till the post of assistant professor.
Other highlights of the ordinance:
- Weightages are assigned for CAS in respect of MOOCs and E-content in Universities and Colleges.
- Up to 10% of the existing sanctioned strength of Professors in Universities shall be appointed as Senior Professors in the Universities.
- Senior Professors in Universities will be appointed through direct recruitment and through promotion under CAS.
- Universities will grant permission and provide need-based facilities to college teachers to supervise Ph.D./M.Phil scholars.
- To promote sports in Universities and colleges a special category of medal winners in Olympics, Asian Games and Commonwealth Games in eligibility criteria for Assistant Director/College Director, Physical Education, and Sports, and Deputy Director, Physical Education, and Sports in Universities has been made.
(With Inputs from PTI)